Can I File a Medical Malpractice Claim Against Someone Other a Doctor?
Every year, thousands of people are injured or killed by the negligence of a physician, surgeon or other medical professional. Many people don’t realize that you can file a medical malpractice claim against medical professionals in addition to doctors. Medical malpractice claims can be brought against a doctor, professional health care provider, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and group homes.
If you or a loved one has fallen victim a medical provider’s negligence you need the legal counsel of an experienced Peachtree City medical malpractice attorney on your side. Our attorneys have more than 30 years of experience, and a consistent track record of success so you can be confident you’re making the right decision hiring us.
Get an experienced attorney on your side – call us today
Nursing Home Neglect
The law in Georgia requires there to be one registered or licensed nurse on duty for each 8-hour shift of the day in a nursing home. The law also states that at least one physician and dentist be on staff and available for the residents to visit at least once every 30 days. In addition to the professional medical staff, a dietician and social services must also be available on staff to the elderly residents.
Most Common Examples of Nursing Home Negligence
- Negligent Supervision: residents were not supervised well enough and may have fallen and no staff member was available to assist.
- Negligent hiring: If a nursing home fails to adequately train and supervise their employees and those employees neglect, abuse, or intentionally harm a patient as a result, the nursing home could be found negligent
- Unsafe or Unsanitary Living Conditions: nursing homes are required to keep the common areas and the living quarters clean and sanitary.
- Not Providing Adequate Medical Treatment: there is a specific reasonable standard of care that all nursing home and medical providers must follow. Failure to provide necessary treatment or failure to test for other health issues could be considered negligence.
Group Home Neglect
Adults and children with developmental disabilities often live in group homes where they can receive specialized care and attention specific to their individual needs. These people can be vulnerable and they depend on the supervision and care of trained medical professionals to assist them with everyday needs.
Much like nursing homes, group home residents can fall victim to a number of injuries including the following:
- Medication Errors
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Physical Abuse
Malpractice Against Nurses
Malpractice claims against nurses have bene on the rise since the mid 90’s due to the increase of responsibilities doctors have started placing on them. Physicians are spending less time at the bedside are have begun relying on nurses to be their eyes and ears. This allocation of responsibility puts added pressure on nurses to report and follow through with patients regarding any changes to their condition. Most of the medical malpractice claims against nurses are filed due to failed doctor-nurse communication.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a medical professional our attorneys are here for you. We have years of experience handling medical malpractice claims. You deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
We offer free consultations—get yours today